Crypto hardware wallets are arguably the most secure way to store Bitcoin and other cryptocurrency using encryption. You can store your hardware wallet in a safe or lockbox for safe keeping. A user must input a pin code or password in order to retrieve cryptocurrency from the device.
Crypto Hardware Wallets Directory
Ledger Nano S
Ledger Nano S – The most popular hardware wallet. Supports 33 tokens and coins as well as all ERC20 Ethereum tokens in combination with MyEtherWallet.
From their description:
- Check and confirm transactions on the display and confirm with using the physical buttons (anti-malware second factor)
- Your confidential data is never exposed: it is secured inside a strongly isolated environment locked by a PIN code
- Use companion apps such as cryptocurrencies wallets, and also FIDO U2F, GPG, SSH or build your own applications
- Ledger Nano S supports the FIDO Universal Second Factor authentication standard on Google, Dropbox, GitHub or Dashlane
- Your accounts are backed up on a recovery sheet. Easy restoration on any Ledger device or compatible wallets (BIP39/BIP44)
Trezor Wallet – Another popular hardware wallet that supports multiple coins and tokens.
From their description:
- Trezor One, Secure Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency Hardware Wallet, Secure password manager, FIDO U2F / SSH Security Authentication, Cryptocurrency Wallet with Storage for Altcoins.
- A next step in the evolution of bitcoin towards a completely safe storage and payment system. Trezor brings peace of mind.
- Ultimate security
- No matter how unprotected your computer or internet connection might be, your coins stay always safe with Trezor as it never exposes your private keys. Trezor is an isolated environment for offline transaction signing, using a small display for you to visually verify the transaction contents. That’s why all operations using Trezor are entirely safe
- Easy to use
- Trezor is Windows, OS X, and Linux friendly. All you need to do is to connect your Trezor to a computer and follow the instructions. There are only two hardware buttons, to confirm or to deny the action, so using Trezor is as easy, safe and as intuitive as it can be. Users can backup the whole Trezor contents on a small piece of paper and use this backup to regain access to all their coins in case of disaster, loss or theft.
- Modern cryptography
- Trezor uses state of the art cryptographic algorithms and practices, but you don’t have to read long manuals or to be a crypto-expert in order to use them properly.
- Community-driven open-source
- Trezor code is open-source and technical decisions are discussed with the wider developer community. Everything can be audited by an independent third party. This ensures that Trezor is absolutely transparent and backdoor-free
- Highest Security
- Protect your bitcoin with the highest level of security available, the Trezor. Never worry about computer viruses, malware, keyloggers or hackers again; your private keys never leave the device.
KeepKey – Supports up to 36 coins and tokens. Has a much larger screen than the Ledger Nano S and Trezor Wallet making it easier to use.
From their description:
- Bank-Grade Security that is Simple: KeepKey is the most secure cryptocurrency wallet available. It makes best-practice cryptocurrency security easy.
- Multi-Currency Support: KeepKey not only supports Bitcoin, but also Bitcoin Cash, Ethereum, Litecoin, Dogecoin, Dash, and ERC-20 tokens: Aragon, Augur, Basic Attention Token, Civic, District0x, FunFair, Golem, Gnosis, OmiseGo, SALT, Bancor, ICONOMI, Melon, SwarmCity, Wings, iExec, Status, Numeraire, Metal, TenX, Qtum, 0x, FirstBlood, Ripio Credit Network, SingularDTV, DigixDAO, WeTrust, Matchpool, Edgeless and Storj.
- Integrated with Shapeshift for seamless exchanges among supported assets.
- Backup and Recovery: During initialization, you are given the one-time opportunity to write down a backup of your KeepKey in the form of a twelve-word recovery sentence. If your KeepKey is lost or stolen, you can safely recover your device and its bitcoins without compromising the security of your private keys.
- Virus and Malware Proof: Because KeepKey does not have an operating system, the layers that viruses, malware, and key loggers infect do not exist on the device. Using KeepKey gives you confidence that hackers can’t get to your bitcoins.
- Works on PC, Mac, Linux, and Android: KeepKey is a USB HID-class device. That means, like a typical mouse or keyboard, drivers are not required. Plug in the provided premium USB cable, and your device just works: immediately giving you the highest level of bitcoin security.
- KeepKey is a USB device that stores and secures your bitcoins. When you entrust KeepKey with your money, each and every bitcoin transaction you make must be reviewed and approved via its OLED display and confirmation button. It now becomes nearly impossible for virtual attackers like malware or viruses to steal your valuable bitcoins.
What are we missing? Please comment below with your favorites. If they are good, we’ll add them to the list.